- Make the effort to show up to events, parties, and get-togethers. Don’tthink, “what is in it for me?” Go with the intention to connect with people and contribute something, whether it is your energy, your assistance, or your own connections. In fact, if you can take someone new along, so much the better. (Obviously this isn’t always appropriate, but people love meeting new people, once they get over the initial awkwardness!)
- Meet people for coffee when you’re in the area.
- Make a point of dropping a note to a few people a week. Use your contact list on your phone, or your friends list on Facebook or wherever it is that you store contacts.
- Don’t know what to say? Just say hi, and ask them what is new in their world. Maybe share something that is new for you.
- Don’t be despondent if you don’t get a 100% response rate. People move on, phone numbers change, life is busier than any time in history.